Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Pike State Forest

ADVENTURE TOURING IN OHIO

En route to the southern most tip of Ohio; the section that protrudes down into Kentucky and West Virginia forming the tri-state area, a visit to the Pike State Forest APV trail area was squeezed into the schedule on this 29th day of October. 


 That was only six weeks ago - but already it feels like another lifetime has passed since that event in time took place. Time is bizarre to me. Depending on your perspective, periods of time can be, or seem, so varied - as if it can't be truly measured.

Pike Lake Forest APV area is located on State Route 124, three miles east of Sinking Spring, Ohio. It consists of approximately 10 miles of trails traversing all types of terrain from flat bottoms to steep ridges. Since this area is south central (verses the southeast area that I generally route for) Interstate 75 was followed down to Dayton before shooting of in a southeasterly direction via the serene Ohio secondary back roads.


[​IMG]

It's been just about a quinquennium since the last jaunt into this specific sector: That was on my most recently owned KLR while scouting out ancient effigy mounds that are prevalent in this region; the popular Serpent Mound being the most notorious.

Obviously the KLR would be more suited to the trail system, but the big GSA was able to plod along while taking in much of it. Both of the bikes had street tires anyway. That is one of my struggles with adventure bikes - what tires to run ! Of course, I'd love to run aggressive rubber for the gnarlier and more precarious situations that adventure overlanding will occasionally throw your way, but then the reality of living in the Detroit area (hundreds of miles each way from wilderness) along with being a long distance rider at heart presents another set of requirements - a somewhat road worthy set of tires. Always a compromise. I've learned to accept that, enjoying what I can, within my limitations. You can always turn around ..... sometimes.

[​IMG]

There was a gaggle of off-roaders present also on this day: buzzing the hillsides on an assortment of small 4-strokes, quads, and even a few 2-strokers. One guy was riding an XT250 just like Fang's.

[​IMG]

The wonderful and welcome fragrance of Klotz wafted through the woods and stimulated my senses; Castor bean oil !! Same stuff that my Gas Gas trials bike gets fed. The only aroma more compelling, known to me, would be dryer sheets as the scent fills your helmet while passing through a neighborhood, often far from home and lonely. Visions of cozy domestic life messing with your head and tugging at your soul. You question why your not home also. Then you remember - when your home, you can't wait to be on the road. There is excitement on the road - adrenaline.

[​IMG]

You can be assured that the other riders were bewildered as to the humongous adventure bike - fully loaded with aluminum panniers and street tires -sharing the trails with them. The regular and inquisitive looks gave them away. There were some more challenging areas that I shied away from on this day, considering how the GS was outfitted, and that I was fighting a head cold and feeling dehydrated. The sweat was flowing already due to the unseasonably warm October day; I was drenched under the Klim gear. A stripped down GSA with proper tires could surely conquer most any section there. Even piloted by an intermediate rider such as myself.

[​IMG]

It was just about coffee time. Figured I would find a nice relaxing spot to park the bike within the trail system and brew up a cup. Thought I would have a little fun and goof around with one of the dirt bike riders too when he came by. So I spread out my Ohio map as I prepared my snack and coffee. The route desired when leaving here needed to be considered anyway. The trap was set.

[​IMG]

It didn't take long. The young 250 rider could be heard coming long before being seen. The trail serpentined through the woods and over the hills. Before he came into view, I made sure to be looking at the map in a deeply contemplative state. He spotted me set up along the trail and coasted up to me with a curious look on his face. I quickly conveyed to him that I had been on the road all day, taken a wrong turn a while back, was lost, and looking for Dayton, Ohio. His curiosity turned to complete puzzlement before my laughter gave me away. We had a chuckle and he admired the big Beemer while asking a few questions before hammering off down the trail.

Now it was time to strip off the jacket and lean back against a bed of crunchy autumnal leaves on the hillside, (as more leaves continually floated down from the canopy) relaxing for a spell. A magical moment for sure. Munching on some cashews while sipping a trailside brewed coffee out of my old stainless steel hobo cup. Admiring the versatile GSA and taking in all the tranquility the Ohio woods had to offer. The essence of "Adventure Touring".

[​IMG]

No comments:

Post a Comment