Saturday, January 18, 2020

Wandering the Desert - April 2017


 After finishing up the remainder of the Back-Country Byway in western Arizona - the ST and I crossed the Colorado River at the western Arizona border and slipped into California.

It felt really good to have finally made it all the way out to California on one of my two-wheeled mounts. For so many years I've been relentlessly pounding the pavement in the east. New scenery and new states were desperately needed.


[​IMG]

Shortly after entering California and heading north for Nevada, I'd become turned around with the multiple signs for 95. While in a gas station, inquiring about directions, a UPS driver who was taking a break and cooling off inside filled me in. He mentioned there were multiple roads designated 95 that came through here and that it was indeed confusing if you were not familiar with the road system in this area.


- Caught this shot on the fly.

[​IMG]

It was getting hot out there in the Mojave too. Real hot for this Northerner in April. It was in the 90's and the sun was smokin'. Guzzled down some waters. Stuffed a few in my saddlebags. Then proceeded to purchase a stick of sunscreen to apply to my face. If I was going to wander around the desert for the day, I'd better be prepared.


[​IMG]

Entered Nevada and snapped off a picture with the state sign. Crossing state lines and snagging pictures with state signs is something that really appeals to me. It is one of many little things that inspire me; miniature milestones to gather up along the way. 


[​IMG]

Some people like to say, "It's the journey and not the destination." I don't totally agree with this. Why would I be so naive as to think I can only focus on, or only enjoy, one or the other? For me, It's about both! The journey is wonderful. But I also feel an overwhelming sense of satisfaction from riding accomplishments and reaching destinations; on some days the emphasis is on the journey and others its more about the destination. Ideally, a nice blend of both is best.

Passed by Laughlin. No need to stop there. I'd rather just ride around the desert. "I've no desire to loose money that I can't afford, in pursuit of money that I don't deserve."


[​IMG]

Then I jumped on 163 west across some more barren desert and mountains. Followed that to one of the other 95's. Took that south back into California. It was hot out there, but peacefull. And not many cars or people. I like that. You can just ride and relax.


[​IMG]

Followed 95 down to another old alignment of Route 66 that runs you parallel to a train track - and through the nearly empty town of Goffs.


[​IMG]

This dumped me back out onto Interstate 40, which I promptly continued heading west on. Figured I would continue on to either Ludlow or Barstow. I'd heard of some cool Route 66 diners and motels that resided there. But, I didn't get far before construction slowed me down to a crawl. After many miles of the construction and no end in sight, I wheeled around and headed back east for Needles. My trip was coming to an end anyway. The next morning I'd split for back home at a blistering pace. So, I'd roll back into Needles to stage myself for a big push back east and find a cozy (cheap) motel for the night. Eat. Rehydrate. Look around town - and get a little sleep.


[​IMG]

No comments:

Post a Comment