Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Tucumcari, New Mexico - (April 2017)

Route 66 - "The Mother Road"

I'd already scrolled through "Favorites" on the Zumo and hit - Go To - the Historic Route 66 Motel in Tucumcari, while I was en route. The Blue Swallow would have been my premier choice for the Route 66 experience, but all things considered - especially price - and the Historic Route 66 made the most sense.

[​IMG]

In the end it worked out better than I could have imagined, since I was enamored with my room. The full glass window wall and retroactive furniture gave the room an amazing ambience. It fit me perfectly. Just my style. Clean and spacious and was an absolute throwback. Just the way I remembered in all of my vagabondish travels with my father. We used to live in these type of places, often for extended periods of time - mostly around the Los Angeles area. But we also stayed in many similar places, to and from, the west coast. And only $42.00 seemed unbelievable. Traveling east of the Mississippi, clean rooms can't be had this cheaply. Not to mention - they are characterless. Unless they are a fortune.

[​IMG]

After settling in, I walked over to Del's and splurged on a steak dinner. The special - so it was still reasonable.

On the way there I'd pass some interesting places.


[​IMG]


[​IMG]

The motel owner was into old planes. Besides the one out front with the motel sign, there were a few shells scattered around on the premises. One was even part of the espresso shop motif. Never did get to try their coffee. Rolled into town after they closed, and would depart before they opened; the compromises of a long-distance rider.

[​IMG]


[​IMG]

Made sure not to leave too early the next morning. Wanted to at least roll through town looking for some murals and photo opportunities. Needed to stop into the Blue Swallow Motel also - and at least photograph their interesting grounds.

[​IMG]

No comments:

Post a Comment