Thursday, January 9, 2020

KINGMAN, ARIZONA - Route 66

2018-02-22_08-51-57.jpg

There was still plenty of daylight left when I rolled into Kingman. Kingman was busy too, traffic wise, compared to the towns I'd been passing through. A regular metropolis here. Even got turned around a few times while navigating my way around the city. First thing I did was get settled into a room. The Hilltop Motel. An old retro unit on Route 66 with a dazzling view of the nearby Hualapai Mountains. Basic and affordable rooms, 40 or 50 bucks. Perfect for this thrifty traveler. Back East you don't get the pleasure of so many affordable options as I've found while traveling in the Southwest. A neon sign out front and up high was a bonus; later that night I would stand out there and admire it, along with the cactus tree, plants, and the mountains silhouteed against the still dimly lit night sky. The warm western breeze and the soft glow of that retro neon took me back to the 80's and my youthful life on the road. I could taste it. My whole life seems like a jumbled dream, but life on the road has a way of sparking my mind and bringing clarity.

[​IMG]

Speaking of those Hualapai Mountains protruding from the arid desert floor: I'd recently read a ride report involving some interesting adventure riding via dirt roads and trails that lead up into them. They do look inviting. But, another time perhaps, and on a different bike.

All settled in, I'd go explore the area for a spell, before calling it a night. Snagged a few murals. Got lost a few times; turned around, anyway. Stopped into Mother Road Harley Davidson; bought my friend Fang a poker chip and myself a unique desert tan Route 66 oversized bandana made of a silkier material than traditionaly.

[​IMG]

Finally, a stop into the Ramada and adjoining Canyon 66 Restauarant and Lounge. Can't afford the Ramada, but I can swing a decent bite to eat next door. Then back to the room for some rest. The next day looked to be promising. More than I even suspected. Some of sweetest section of old Route 66 - including a very unique frontier town - was soon to be surprisingly discovered.


[​IMG]

No comments:

Post a Comment