Thursday, January 2, 2020

UTAH - Muley Point

Muley Point, Utah - Easter Day 2017

I'm pretty sure that I'd last left off (in the archived rides) after chugging up the incredible gravel switchbacks of the Moki Dugway during the Southwestern Easter ride of this year. Here is a (memory refresher) shot looking back on the epic switchbacks.


[​IMG]

At the top of Cedar Mesa, after climbing the Moki Dugway, is a sign indicating the direction (down a dirt road) towards Muley Point. That is another dream location of mine, so I just had to go check it out and experience the view - despite the very rough and rutted 5-mile long dirt road leading to it. It's a good thing that I look over my windshield; at this point there are thousands of miles of bugs splattered across it. All kinds of colors. Some freaky fluorescents too.

[​IMG]

You had to stay focused on this road, especially on the ST. The upgraded fork springs and Penske shock were paying off here. There was no relaxing or daydreaming. I was so charged up to be heading towards Muley Point, that I'd have traversed any road, on any bike, at this point. It probably doesn't rain too often out there, but if it did, this road could be treacherous. Halfway along I'd passed a couple on their touring bicycles. They were fully loaded and considering that nightfall was not that far off, they must have been planning on camping out at Muley Point for the night.

[​IMG]

The end of the road. And well worth the effort. Another slice of heaven on earth.

[​IMG]

The ST hadn't even come to a complete stop yet and some hippie dude was trotting over to visit. Turns out he was an ST1100 owner and was quite the talker. As I wandered around the rocky ledges taking in this magnificent location, he was rambling on about all sorts of bike and adventure related details. At one point, the friendly chap apologized and said he was just happy to come across another motorcyclist to converse with.

He was on his way back north to Iowa from Mexico with a Camaro that I'm pretty sure he said that he had bought in Mexico and was transporting back home. Had a young Cousin or relative with him who stayed back near the car. Seemed odd but who knows what someone is up to. Maybe it was on the up and up - but he was a trip.


[​IMG]

This is where I'd regreted NOT bringing my camping gear on this trip. I've always wanted to spend the night out there at the point. At the departure of this trip I was not aware that I'd be through this area, and was so focused on staying at old retro motels along Route 66 and covering a lot of ground that I ended up foregoing packing the extra gear. Won't head out west again without at least a minimal set-up. Guess I'll just have to return someday.

I just sat there stunned. Gazing out over the whole world. Or so it seemed. I freakin' love Utah and all of the Southwest. It absolutely captivates my soul. Wide-open spaces and devoid of crowds. You feel like a human being out there. And you also realize that you are just a speck in the universe.

From the edge of the open cliff, you look into Glen Canyon and the sinuous San Juan River where millions of years of geology has been exposed by erosion and is revealed in layers. This is the largest entrenched river meander in North America.

My gaze was then arrested by the buttes and spires, of Monument Valley, further out on the horizon. Another dream location. Can't wait. Tomorrow's agenda will have me gliding across the valley floor in awe of the towering monuments. For tonight, I need to cautiously make my way back off of this mesa - and down into Mexican Hat to hole up for the night.


[​IMG]

No comments:

Post a Comment