Sunday, February 5, 2017

YORKTOWN - VIRGINIA

-YORKTOWN

It began at Jamestown in 1607.
It ended and began anew at Yorktown in 1781.

An English settlement of 104 men and boys on the James River expanded into 13 British Colonies.

It ended for Great Britain in a port town on the York River,where independence for the new United States became a reality.


[​IMG]

Leaving Williamsburg, I jumped back onto Colonial Parkway (23 mile long scenic byway) and ran it out until it's terminus - in Yorktown.

[​IMG]

For the next few hours I walked the Yorktown Battlefield, which is the site of the last major battle of the American Revolution and browsed the visitor center.

[​IMG]

I walked some of the trails which led through various parts of the battlefield and redoubts.(tactical positions)

I noticed some of the wheels on the cannons had knobbies and some were smooth.


[​IMG]

There was nothing out there that was going to hold my attention for long.

Mostly just fields with some historical points of interest.


[​IMG]

The only remotely fascinating things to me were the cannons and mortars which is what I focused on photographing.

Some were down right beautiful !!


[​IMG]

I would suppose if you were a history buff and studied these events in detail then you might really connect. This historic stuff is starting to grow on me.

[​IMG]


[​IMG]



[​IMG]



[​IMG]

A short ride down the street and I was in the center of Yorktown, which is a very small and clean town with a nice selection of restaurants and pubs along the York River - and a small beach.

[​IMG]

There was a bicycle tourer there with an impressively set up Surly Disc Trucker. Noteworthy for me, as the Surly Long Haul Trucker is my bike of choice.

[​IMG]

I had lunch and a walk along the river; then back on the parkway retracing my route back to Jamestown.

The Colonial Parkway offers spectacular views of the York and James Rivers.


[​IMG]


[​IMG]



[​IMG]

No comments:

Post a Comment