Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Burke's Garden, Virginia

Burke's Garden - (Day 1)

20190602_110339.jpg   

Just a handful of miles to go before I'd exit Interstate 77 - and traffic came to an abrupt halt. The original plan (developed on the fly) was to exit at Rocky Gap and then follow Route 61 (west) to Burke's Garden.

Never made it to Rocky Gap. Instead, after creeping along for what felt like an eternity, an opportunity to bail from the torturous crawl presented itself. I was able to exit the interstate and run a series of backroads to Burke's Garden. It still is not clear to me, but I may have (probably) exited and then went up an on-ramp; it was a small blacktop road with no discernable markings. At that point .... I didn't care.

I'd intended on visiting Burke's Garden last year while riding the MABDR, but ran out of time, for running down extra points-of-interest. So, the anticipation was building as I was fast approaching the veritable garden; it was first on my list. This unique area supposedly has the most fertile land in the region.

20190531_194805.jpg

Just as I was getting into the main loop around Burke's Garden, a young Amish boy in traditional farm dress came into sight. He was on a bicycle and had stopped and was intently peering over the edge of the bridge and into a creek. Pulling up alongside of him, I asked, "Are there any camping spots in the vicinity." He pointed towards the direction I was heading and replied, "Up there on the mountain." Before pulling away, I'd asked him, "Do you mind if I take a picture of you." He politely informed me, "We don't do that."

20190531_195349.jpg

Up on that mountain is where those switchbacks and the bear that I'd discovered were located , which I had mentioned previously (in real time while on the ride). That is also where I crossed the Appalachian Trail and spotted the lone tent where the A.T. and the gravel road (that I was riding) converged. The Appalachian Trail runs along that whole ridgeline on the backside (southside) of Burke's Garden; probably a third of the ridgeline that encompasses Burke's Garden - is actually Appalachian Trail.

20190531_194834.jpg 


Before moving on, I'll take a moment to share some history and a few more pictures that I'd taken just after the rainfall.

Known for it's fertility and great natural beauty, the bowl-shaped Burke's Garden is the highest valley in Virginia. That's interesting; we don't usually consider valleys in terms of elevation.

Burke's Garden is a topographically rare elongated basin rimmed entirely by the Garden Mountain.

20190602_105833.jpg

Burke's Garden was discovered by James Burke in 1749 while hunting. He built a cabin nearby and settled there around 1754.

Major Lewis's expedition against the Indians, 1756, camped there, and Burke's fort was there in 1774.

After four years Burke and his family moved to North Carolina, when hostilities began during the French Indian War. Burke died in North Carolina in 1783.


According to tradition, Burke buried some potato peelings in the region's fertile soil during a survey expedition. Sometime later another group camped out at the same site and discovered the potatoes, resulting in the area becoming known as Burke's Garden.

In 1781 Indians raided into Burke's Garden, carrying off the wife and children of Thomas Ingles.

The threat of Indian attack and the remoteness of the area discouraged permanent white settlement until the early 19th century.

20190602_110115.jpg 


Up on that ridgeline is when the sky finally opened up and let loose. A brief but hard rain fell, along with the temperatures; a welcome relief from the heat. An appealing campsite didn't present itself, so I ran back down the mountain and finished riding the main loop. Took many pictures after the rain (which I've already posted). Every change in weather and lighting offers different photo opportunities.

20190603_210518.jpg

The day was quickly coming to an end as the main loop ended, dumping me back out where I'd entered near Mattie's Place (General Store); it was Sunday evening and the store was closed. Later I would learn that they offer camping on their hill; will have to keep that in mind as a future potential campsite.


"The magical sheen - immediately after a brief rain shower and just before sunset."

20190524_220436.jpg

Another dramatic landscape in the mountain rimmed basin called - Burkes Garden.

20190524_223657.jpg 

 

Fatigue was setting in, as well as nightfall, so I started riding towards Tazewell. The GPS led me to the Tazewell Motel. Lucked out, as this was my kind of motel; nothing fancy, but cheap and clean. The Indian lady that owned it was friendly and for $40.00 a night, I'd go back and also recommend it. The bright orange wall added a simple but up-beat touch to an ordinary room.

20190603_210758.jpg 


Extra's:

Made it to my first goal today. A topographical anomaly. "Thumb Print of God".

20190519_211917.jpg



 While negotiating those gravel switchbacks - I saw a black bear. At the top of the mountain I came across the Appalachian Trail and a lone tent set up just off of the trail. The current location is the Tazewell Motel.

Screenshot_20190519-213438_Gallery.jpg



Close up of the gravel switchbacks leading from Burkes Garden to the MABDR. I'm just north of the MABDR.

 Screenshot_20190519-183838_Maps.jpg   
The Bear -

20190519_210841.jpg


One of the gravel switchback corners -

20190519_185932.jpg


Then the skies opened up and it rained hard for awhile as the temperatures dropped into the 60's. It felt wonderful after the scorcher temperatures that I had to ride through to get here. Probably rode about 600 miles today. But, now I'm in the good stuff. The "Back of the Dragon" is just up the road !

20190519_191246.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment