Tuesday, December 31, 2019

APPALACHIA - 2019

Appalachian Adventure - (Ride Overview) 25 May 2019

Just returned from five-days of Appalachian adventures. Now that I'm home, I'll start getting some more pictures and details posted. Since I'd ridden the MABDR in it's entirety in 2018, the focus instead was on nearby points-of-interests and some sections of the DAT (Damascus to Augusta Trail).

Although, I did re-ride the section of MABDR between Marion and Damascus - and will post-up a few pictures from that. The DAT starts up (and continues southwest toward the Smokies) where the MABDR leaves off.

My suspicions tell me that some (or much) of the DAT will be incorporated into the SEBDR (Southeast BDR) eventually; after all, there are only so many unpaved roads that can be utilized for such an endeavor.

The DAT also shares much of the route with the SEAT (Southeast Adventure Trail) and some of the TAT (Trans America Trail) and even some of the Smoky Mountain 1000.

Some of my destination goals and accomplishments on this ride included:

Burkes Garden; The Back of the Dragon (Route 16); a small section of the MABDR; a visit with Crazy Larry in Damascus; a portion of the DAT; Shady Valley and The Snake (Route 421) Mountain View Moto Campground; Roan Mountain; Rich Mountain Fire Tower; Hot Springs, NC and The Rattler (NC 209); Buzzard Roost; The BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway); Little Shepherd Trail along the KAT (Kentucky Adventure Trail).

- Gravel travel in the Unaka Mountain Range while traversing the DAT. Near the Tennessee and North Carolina border; back and forth actually. No state line signs up there though.


"Gravel Travel"

20190525_145052.jpg


Ride Origins - (Gloom to Gusto)

This Appalachian Adventure wasn't originally planned and only spontaneously morphed into existence after a failed departure on a two-day ride to explore the TOT (Trans Ohio Trail).

After Saturday morning rain and general gloominess had me dozing back to sleep on the couch, still in my Klim Overland pants and TCX Infinty boots, the motivation and departure never materialized.

Spent the rest of the day in somewhat of a funk for not getting out on a ride - and knowing Sunday alone was not enough time to pursue a worthy chunk of the route, considering the ride down and back.

Late afternoon I said screw it, and sent my boss a text - asking for the week ahead off of work. He said, "Have fun."

I'd leave the shiny Harley Davidson's in the garage and load up the versatile GSA for this run. Sunday morning you wouldn't find me in bed.

Since I now had the whole week to run, figured I'd save the TOT for a future, shorter jaunt - and just bang on through Ohio, shooting for the Appalachian Mountains; had some bucket list destinations to explore and wanted to ride some of the DAT (Damascus to Augusta Trail).

While it still has not begun getting hot in Michigan, that all changed for me as I was approaching Southeast Ohio. By the time I crossed the Ohio River into West Virginia it was a full-on humid scorcher. Mid-90's all the way down into Virginia. Saw 97 as I passed through Charleston. That Capital building with the gold dome always grabs my attention when I roll through Charleston on Interstate 77/64. One of these days I'd like to stop off and check it out. There was scaffolding set up all around the upper perimeter of the Capital building as some kind of major work was being undertaken; maybe just fresh paint, I don't know.

20190525_134238.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment