Saturday, March 11, 2017

Whitefish Point

-The day after the Lake Superior 1000

-WHITEFISH POINT-


The next morning after some well deserved rest, we checked out at 11:00 am on schedule, continuing this Northern journey.

Scott and Kenny ventured off back into the Lower Peninsula while Will and I decided to take this opportunity to explore some of the Upper Peninsula's wonderful beauty.


Our first destination was Whitefish Point on the Lake Superior shore.


[​IMG]


[​IMG]

[​IMG]


This was quite the stop and well worth the time spent here. It is a series of immaculate white buildings, a small campus consisting of the Light Station complete with restored quarters along with the shipwreck museum and a large gift shop with alot of inventory.

I was very happy to find some gorgeous glass decorative Dolphins with a blue swirl inside to take home for my daughters.They will go nicely with the marble ones I picked up for them in the OBX.



[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


The more I studied the detail put into the restoration of the house living quarters, the more impressed I became.

The place was immaculate.


This year, I've probably visited 25 lighthouses - and this one was at another level.

Check out the metal cricket on the floor. It is a shoe remover. I remember always seeing one of these at my grandmothers house while growing up - it was identical.


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


The grounds of this location and museum are pretty busy with people as it is a popular tourist destination.

While visiting, something is lost, as always, due to the heavy presence of people.

I just realized as I am putting these pictures together for this post that I managed to get all the pictures without the tourists in any of them, and therefore have managed to capture the spirit of the original setting portrayed for the thread even more so than when there in person. Interesting. A depth I would never have realized, or experienced, if I was not sharing the experience through this report.


[​IMG]


-Lake Superior is the largest of the Great Lakes in surface area and volume.

-Lake Superior could contain all the other Great Lakes plus three more lakes the size of Lake Erie.

-Controlled by gates on the Saint Mary's River at Sault Sainte Marie, the lakes level may not exceed 602 feet above sea level.

Length - 350 Miles

Breadth - 160 Miles

Average Depth - 483 Feet

Max Depth - 1,332 Feet

Outlet - St. Mary's river to Lake Huron

Retention/Replacement time - 191 Years
-Each year a small percentage of the lakes water flows out through the St. Mary's River, and it takes almost two centuries for the water to be completely replaced.


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]


[​IMG]

The more I visit and explore the Great Lakes, the more I'm intrigued by them.


Many areas rival or even exceed our Oceans. They can be that impressive.

[​IMG]



No comments:

Post a Comment